Chocolate Avocado Cake
(adapted from a recipe by Katrin Nürnberger)
Sugar free, gluten free and dairy free!
Prep Time 20 minutes • Cook Time 35 minutes • Servings 12
For the Cake
2 cups almond flour or ground almonds
1-1/2 avocado (3/4 cup mashed)
3 eggs, medium
1/2 cup coconut cream
1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/3 cup powdered erythritol, use 1/2 cup if you like a sweeter cake (use coconut sugar for Paleo)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Frosting
1 avocado (1/2 cup mashed)
2 oz unsweetened chocolate or dark chocolate, 85% cocoa solids minimum
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
3-4 tbsp almond milk
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop or mash your avocado and blend it in a food processor with the eggs, almond milk, coconut cream, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Blend for a few minutes until smooth and there are no green lumps left. If necessary, scrape down the sides with a spatula in between blending cycles.
3. Now add the almond flour, baking powder, and sweetener and blend until well-combined.
4. Line an 8-inch pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
5. Fill in the batter and bake for about 30-35 minutes until the top is firm.
6. While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave (30 second bursts).
7. Blend the avocado, sweetener, cocoa powder, and almond milk in a food processor until smooth.
8. Add the melted chocolate and blend until well-combined.
9. Spread over the completely cooled cake and serve.
Make sure you choose ripe and soft avocados and blend until the mixture is smooth. You do not want any green lumps in your cake!